Monday, April 20, 2009

Balance

The Armful
For every parcel I stoop down to seize
I lose some other off my arms and knees,
And the whole pile is slipping, bottles, buns--
Extremes too hard to comprehend at once,
Yet nothing I should care to leave behind.
With all I have to hold with, hand and mind
And heart, if need be, I will do my best
To keep their building balanced at my breast.
I crouch down to prevent them as they fall;
Then sit down in the middle of them all.
I had to drop the armful in the road
And try to stack them in a better load
~Robert Frost
~a foxglove enhanced by me...representing a 'balanced stack'~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read this poem by my old buddy Bob, I realize he has a deeper meaning...keeping all the things we have going in a delicate balance...not wanting to drop anything, as all of it is important...but when it all gets tough, there seems to be a need to drop it all right there and restack. How smart and how right he is.
This week I've been thinking about how I consistently take on too much, and then I don't know where the frick I'm going with it all. I try to juggle and not drop anything, and then suddenly...kablam...I've dropped it all. Ever happen to you? Our lives are always in a delicate balance, and it isn't logical, or possible to be continually in that "sweet spot", where everything is being juggled perfectly. It may go on for a few weeks and then something has to give, but it may not be too bad...okay, I forgot that appointment, not too bad. But when everything begins to feel like you've just thrown tennis shoes in the dryer and everything is spinning with a definite thump on one side, you know trouble is brewing.
I think Bob is exactly right...time to sit down in the middle of the road and repack...reassess...reprioritize. What worked yesterday isn't necessarily going to work today. The "yes" you said to last year, may not be right for you this year.
I think that this is where I am right now. Sitting in the middle of the road with all my responsibilities and things I want strewn about me, and I get to restack and reorganize. I think I was frightened at first, but everyday, I become more sure of how I'm restacking, and what next step I'm on in life. I think the restacking can be quite fun...

No comments: