Friday, April 10, 2009

Listing Magnificence

~art by me "Holding Her Together"~


I have this book called "The Daily OM: Inspirational thoughts for a happy, healthy, and fulfilling day" I bought it because I like to read things on paper, in my hand, and turn pages and heft it around the house. I love The Daily OM I get in the email, too, but this is different...more...solid. I highly recommend the book, written by Madisyn Taylor.

Today I read this: "Listing Magnificence: Five things I like about myself" and I thought, hmm...wow...sounds like what I wrote in my blog yesterday. So, I kept reading, "Our primary relationship in life is with ourselves. No one else goes through every experience in life with us. We are our one permanent companion...yet we are often our own worst critic. To remind ourselves of our magnificence, we can do the following exercise: 'Five Things I Like about Myself.'"



"Begin by writing down at least five things that you like about yourself. This is not the time to be modest. If you are having trouble coming up with a total of five items, you know that this exercise can really benefit you. Be sure to include more than physical attributes on your list, since your body is only part of who you are...."

"Continue this process for a week, thinking of five new things you like about yourself every day. At the end of the week, read the list aloud to yourself while standing in front of a mirror. Instead of looking for flaws to fix, allow the mirror to reflect your magnificence. You may feel silly standing before a mirror and reading aloud a list of your admirable attricutes, but it might just bring a smile to your face and change the way you see yourself. Remember that when you feel the most resistant, this exercise can benefit you the most."


"Since we are constantly looking at the world instead of at ourselves, we do not ofen see what is magnificent about us in the way that others do. When we take the time to experience ourselves as we would someone we love and admire, we become our best companion and supporter on life's journey."

So today:

My ability to feel empathy

My artistry/inspired work/creativity

My desire to learn about the "unknowable"

My strength of heart

My hands

2 comments:

Christine said...

this is beautiful,Katie.
and so are you.
xo,ma

Laura said...

Well what do you know . . . that's what we love about you too!

hugs,
Laura