Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spiders, Bikes and White Violets


Today was the first day in a long time that I've felt inspired to create. So, I set about creating 6 dollies, all morning. I sat in my living room while my daughter played and did "projickts" of her own.

I didn't tell Emma, as she has a phobia of spiders, most of the time, but I kept finding a baby spider running across my work all morning. I checked to make sure it was the SAME spider, and not some hideous thing happening under the coffee table, like babies hatching out. Nope, just the one, same little spider.

He kept hiding under the little things strewn across the table, and I found it so comical. I took this picture of him "hiding."

He was very shy, and didn't want to come out, so when I kept moving things as I was working, he would run under the next stationery item...poor little guy.


~~~~~~~~~~~~a few hours later~~~~~~~~~~~~


Emma wanted to go for a bike ride, and I told her to get ready. She came out of her room with tennis shoes, but no socks, an orange sundress with a pink sweatshirt over it, brown and pink leopard print leggings and a red coat. She is still on training wheels and goes very slow, but she goes as fast as her tiny legs will let her, with a huge smile on her face and whooping, "WooHoo! This is FUUUN!"

Her bike was splashed with mud, and stuck with all kinds of stickers and her little basket was full of dirt and one dusty quarter. She wanted me to run as fast as I could, to see who would win; I could beat her at a snail's pace, but I pretend-ran beside her. Do you know what she did? Even though I would "loose" she would still say, happy as all-get-out, "Mommy! You won!"

There is something about her...I want to be like her when I grow up.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~after the bike ride~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~A White Violet~
I found him growing right next to my porch steps, and I was ecstatic. You see, nothing very delicate grows here where I live. You know what they say about "Shy violets", and coupled with the fact that it is white ("innocence") and what TheVictorian Flower Oracle says about the meaning of violets (humility, insights, calm tempers, desire, luck, sleep and peace), I was suddenly struck with something...a child is rarely timid when she is even remotely comforted by her surroundings and those she is with. A child blossoms in small acts of love. When she believes everything is alright, it IS alright. When she is smiled at, her world clicks into place. She "gets ready" (sans socks or a sense of style) and she heads out. She is confident, she knows what she wants to do, and she does it. She feels good enough to "allow" me to win at her own game. She doesn't have the need to hide or be timid because her eyes are OPEN. She sees beauty and purpose and chances to be generous in all that she does, and it CREATES beauty and purpose and generosity.
She is even trying to like spiders these days :)

2 comments:

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

I am madly in love with this post!! Your daughter is my new hero. Perfect way to start my day, Dear Katie. xo

p.s. Oh, yes! I need more of your computer savy help for the button/icon. I'll email tonight after work.

Becky said...

I always adore your Emma stories, it has been a while since I've read one. She is young and wise.
Lately, I've been sitting and waiting to be inspired myself, and your post has made me ask, "what am I waiting for". Love your new blog style,It is refreshing & lovely.

Smiles,
Becky