Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Thoughts & Doings

~me in my work apron on the warmest day yet~

A poem by Robert Frost
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, "What is it?"
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was thinking of this poem today, and had to go and find it to read it word for word.
In the last 7 years, I've had plenty of years where I didn't have "a time for talk", and would say how busy I was and didn't meet with friends at all. Now I try my best not to do this. I pick up the phone and talk, or I suggest lunch, or an afternoon crocheting together. It is JUST as important to cultivate your friendships as it is to keep a clean house, or go to work everyday. Who do you need to take time to talk to today?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was "hose weather" today, so the kids went to make some really great mud holes and little rivulets through their play area (which is really a patch of dirt and a big tractor tire buried in the mud). I watched them for awhile, and then I watched my chickens drinking the muddy water, and I couldn't resist a few pictures. I wanted this particular girl to look up and I said, "chook chook" she looked at me in this way...


So, I went back to looking at the patterns of the frothy mud on the water...this one looked like an elephant to me. Do you see it?
Then I figured enough of that, and I went to change the wash on the line, and loved the look of the silk blowing in the very slight breeze today...luckily, I keep my camera in my pocket these days...

I caught my best egg-layer strutting out to the front yard here...
So I followed her to take pictures of this little scene in the front yard...
But none of the daffodil pictures were coming out...only this one of 3 other little blue hyacinths I have in the spot...

Then I started taking pictures of the beeskep and the twig stool it sits on and these came out of it...



So, I let it be, and honored the weathered twigs instead. No one has ever seen them in quite that way before...how beautiful the texture of it is...even as it is falling apart, and the nails are rusting and coming out, there is beauty.
Then I went in and said hello to my favorite food friends...limes & lemons...and lately avacados.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I see the elephant with trunk and two eyes. Do you see the old man's leg with the patch on it in the weathered twigs?

L

Katie said...

I did! It is the second picture of the twig stuff...the one with the nail through it, coming out! Ewwww!

Laura said...

Try the third picture!

Katie said...

I keep thinking of an octopus tentacle, and a cat eye...