Saturday, May 16, 2009

of a Saturday

Grubby little hands bring their offerings.

Not just the tops this time, but the whole blasted things.

Roots & All.

"Just for you, Mama."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My offerings are just the same.

I bring myself, roots & all.
It is only natural for me to bring all or nothing...Today I choose, all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I might have mentioned to you a few posts back, that I had started writing a book.

The words & ideas have come so fast to me,

that I can't believe that I see an end in sight for the book

on this day.

My heart yearns to inspire hope in other women,

to help them to stop clinging to the inside of the whale that has swallowed them.

This must be the fire that is under me, of late.

I plan on self-publishing, so I would say that a book will be ready

before the end of summer.

I would love to share the first chapter with you all:



Not until we are lost do we begin
to understand ourselves.
~Henry David Thoreau~

Chapter One
Stuck in the Brambles

Hello Sweet Thing…Yes, you! Now is the time to begin. I want you to come out of this feeling hopeful and excited about your next steps on this journey. Imagine, if you will, that your life is laid out before you as a path through a forest. There are times when it is pleasantly winding, with sunlight streaming through the canopy. There are birds twittering and flitting from branch to branch above you. You smile and close your eyes and breathe deeply of the heavy loam that is crushed by your feet as you walk, ever in. That is where you want to be. That is the part of the path you long for. But you are in a particularly sticky part of the journey right now. The brush has come closer, the rain isn’t just falling, it is absolutely pouring, and your hair is caught up with brambles. You are covered in scratches and just can’t seem to get anywhere. You look around yourself in a huff, and wonder, “Did I stray somewhere?” No, the path is clearly under your feet, and you can see it through the dense brambles as you peer into their darkness. You’ve hit a full stop as it seems too hard to just keep going. “I guess I’ll camp here,” you say, as you pull your coat tighter around your shoulders and bring your knees to your chest. This isn’t what you bargained for. This is terrible. Take heart! There is one thing that you absolutely must remember, though the way may be hard and it becomes more and more dense, this is still the path of your life. Kahlil Gibran would say,

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your
understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must
break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so must you know pain. And
could you keep your heart in wonder at the daily miracles of your life, your
pain would not seem less wondrous than your joy; And you would accept the
seasons of your heart, even as you have always accepted the seasons that pass
over your fields.” (from The Prophet )


If your whole life were birdsong and sunshine through the leaves, you wouldn’t ever truly appreciate the good things that came to you along your journey. If you hadn’t had your heart broken, you wouldn’t be able to appreciate the faithfulness that your sweetie has for you. If you hadn’t lost your job, you wouldn’t have been able to spend more time with your little kids. If you hadn’t come to this point in your path, you wouldn’t be able to experience the full joy that life offers you on the other side of these brambles.
So, now…get up and start hacking away at the path in front of you!

4 comments:

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

I love this and need this today, Dear Katie. I will be the first person to buy your book.

Much love,
Graciel

Laura said...

This is lovely, Katie, using your experience to help others.

Love,
L

Marion said...

Thanks for sharing your words and images.

Doreen said...

This is a wonderful first chapter Katie. I will be waiting anxiously for more.

I think it is fantastic that you are doing this..and it is very obvious..that it is bring you much joy.