Sunday, June 07, 2009

Poem Prompt #78 from "ReadWritePoem"

Poem Prompt #78 from "ReadWritePoem"

*a Paper Princess*

gingerly I'd pull them from faded envelopes

cellophane taping up an ankle, a wrist

queuing them up

watching her face expectantly

is it strange to see yourself like this?

I'd ask so she wouldn't be embarrassed

I am sure she is never naked there

on the table laid bare

where the Princess can see herself in paper panties

strapless bra

no, never again

for the world to watch

following

her footsteps in paper

this is your wedding dress

i'd say this as I fold tabs over her white shoulders

-but she looks away with a sniff, so I do a quick change -

and now here is a green dress worn to Africa

She would smile serenly, sadly

unhappy to see herself so flat, ineffective

a paper princess with a crease in her neck

her life's timeline

pockmarked by five

thin

outfits

touching her warm hand lightly

I smile at her

putting all flatness aside

earnestly I say that I saw her

I SAW YOU

and I had stars in my eyes for you still.

6 comments:

Doreen said...

OH..I love this..what a great paper doll poem...Wonderful Katie.

Wishing you a joyous day!
Hugs,
Doreen

Katie said...

Thank you. Well, the prompt was to write about meeting someone from the past that I admired. I always have LOVED Princess Diana, and had paper dolls of her. But it occured to me how she wouldn't have appreciated them as she grew into herself when she got older.

Raven's Wing Poetry said...

This is beautiful. I love how you personified the paper doll and thus show Princess Diana's realness...effective because of the irony and juxtaposition of paper against flesh and bone. Good job!

Deb said...

I thought perhaps it was Diana. Good idea to take your own memory and flesh it out, so to speak.

angie said...

This is wonderful and it brings back so many memories for me. My girls grew up with paper dolls...and were very affected by Diana's death as well.

Your poem just reminds us of all the wonderful things about her and using paper dolls is such a great device.

;)

Lawrence Gladeview said...

katie what a welcoming poem to start the day. your strong language throughout is spectacular-really enjoy "cellophane" and "pockmarked". your progression hits on all the right spots leading up to the end.