Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Cold Springs and a Fourth of July contest!


~the meadows among the pine and birch~

The greatest delight which the fields & woods minister,
is the suggestion of an occult relation
between man and the vegetable.


~growing on~growing up~growing out~
I am not alone and unacknowledged.

~Wild Lupine~
They nod to me, and I to them.
~bowing at every age~
The waving of the boughs in the storm, is new to me
and old.
~leafy bowers through a hole...in a leaf~
It takes me by surprise, and yet is not unknown.
Its effect is like that of a higher thought or a better
emotion coming over me,
~a circle having been blessed~
when I deemed I was thinking
justly or doing right.

(photos by Katie Estvold,
words by Ralph Waldo Emerson - from his essay on Nature)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is something that also grows at Cold Springs.
I'd never seen them like this before...in such profusion.
If you can guess what the two pictures above are of,
I'd love to put you in a drawing for this necklace:


"Light on Rocks"
I made this pendant from a precious little round white agate (unpolished) from my collection,
and this wonderful rectangluar-shaped rock that has a spider-webbing of minerals across one side. I just love these rocks, and wanted to make something special out of them. When I asked my daughter what I should call this one, she said (she's 4), "Um...it's like...um...light on the rocks." And I QUITE agree...like a big full moon across the rocks. Beautiful!

Please, just leave a comment with what the objects in the two pictures are, and I'll put all correct answers in a hat and draw out a winner on the Fourth of July!
Good Luck!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wanted to leave you with this picture of Mother Earth in her white dress (on the left)
and having taken off the white dress,
she has exchanged it for the green dress (on the right).
This is the exact same scene at Cold Springs in February (left)
and then in June (right).
Amazing in her generosity and beauty,
Nature teaches me about true change in the spirit of an individual.
I can change and be completely me at every moment.
I want to live free enough to change from the white to the green to the orange and back again...and still be ME at my core.

3 comments:

Doreen said...

What a great post Katie..so interesting and full of thought provoking pictures and quotes!

I have no idea what the items in the photo may be...They look to me like a type of pine cone..sort of like rock pine cones..but if I had to guess..I would say they were pine cones :)

:)Doreen

Heather said...

oh my goodness, I have no idea! I've never seen anything like that! they look like strange pebbles...my guess would be a type of fungus though, a very creative fungus!

Christine Crocker said...

hi sweetie,

I'm wondering if they might be some kind of fungus that grows in the wet part of the woods OR maybe a house that some kind of insect builds?
looking forward to finding out.
love,ma