Monday, September 14, 2009

All Hurried Up and Waiting - Inspire Me Mondays


When my garden was planted in the spring, I had bare ground to stare at for a few weeks...nothing but sticks in the ground with promises of something yummy or beautiful later.
As summer went on, surely enough, Mother Earth blessed me with green, green and more green for all of my toil and care...thank you very much...
and since that time, I've been guarding it all so carefully from these really terrible, ravenous MONSTERS that roam our woods: deer. Without so much as a by-your-leave they run into fences, breaking through and eating off the tops of every blessed thing. Vultures...bloody nasty vultures.
But anyway...

As you can see, from the outside looking in, my garden is still green and growing and it causes me to think - oh gasp - about how much hurrying and bustle we get into to make things nice and we tarry along, hoping and hoping and hoping that all the tomatoes will ripen (or the substitute credentials come in the mail) or that the deer will stay out (or the computer doesn't quit) or that at least ONE pumpkin will mature before the frost (or that the car tires last one more month)...
so as you can see...
I'm never really talking about what it seems I'm talking about...I'm not really talking about my garden - so it seems.
My days have been filled with my own agendas for 7 years. If I was late or made a deadline, they were MY deadlines or my lateness. If I was too busy to change into clothes I could be seen in public in, that was alright. If I wanted more money, I only needed to make more goodies to sell on my website. But now, I'm cultivating that long forgotten garden of Katie's Personal Dreams. I don't mean to say that my children weren't my dream, they MOST CERTAINLY ARE, however...I want to teach school again. I've been working so hard and being so diligent to get my substituting going and it seems that no matter what setbacks (if only I could just put up deer netting to fix these problems) there is always something out of my control...
So, here I am, having FAITH and WAITING.
I am never one to give up on a thing on account of roadblocks. I just forge ahead, set my tendrils out to curl around every available sturdy thing and I keep looking for the chance to grow some more, to poke up toward the sun - this is who we are, why should we quit when the going gets tough?
I get inspired by this aspect of my personality: tell me I can't do something, and I work like hell to make it happen. I'm a go-getter and I tend to act fast. This is definitely teaching me patience.
I like to think of these things as "character building exercises."

Inspire Me Mondays

No comments: