Saturday, September 05, 2009

Art as Prayer

I bought a piece of art yesterday...this is HUGE because let me tell you how I am really quite a cheapskate and I just NEVER buy art. The last time I bought art it was a knitted Chakra wall hanging from my friend Tricia...which I ADORE.
This time, I went to visit my artist friend Alma, literally walked through her front door and as I was giving her a hug I looked down at some new artwork she had sitting about and I latched onto this one and said, "What is this?! Oh my god, what is that?!" I looked closer and breathlessly said, "Alma...can I have this? I want this one."
I know it must've been made just for me.

You see, Alma listens and then she does.
That is the goddess within speaking - I am convinced of it down to my bones.
The "Divine She" talks to Alma, and she lays down fabrics and papers and paints and does it.
The colors of this piece are PHENOMENAL. The red is a metallic raspberry-beefsteak tomato. The turqouise is Clear Lake blue.
There are browns and creams and pinks and the most wonderful shade of lime.
It was made for me-I'm convinced of this also.
Do you see how the sun glints off of it? It reflects the light of a higher power.
Do you see the delicate courage of it? Do you see the strong femininity of it?
In the palms, I see flocks of birds, with only their eyes showing. I see hearts ready to give,
I see the tree of life and veins. I see the lotus, reflecting the idea that my life opens as the petals do...slowly and surely and oh so beautifully.
I see reflection and light and offering.
I see womanly parts reminding me of how sacred and beautiful and giving my body is.
And then, because there are no accidents, I knew I'd seen these hands many times before, and only just recently have been paying attention to them.
These hands are quite like the Hamsa:
From Wikipedia:
The hamsa (Arabic: خمسة ‎, khamsa, lit. five, also romanized khamsa and chamsa) is a palm-shaped amulet popular throughout the Middle East and North Africa. The hamsa is often incorporated in jewelry and wall hangings, as a defense against the evil eye. It is believed to originate in ancient practices associated with the Phoenicians of Carthage

This is The Hamsa prayer:
Let no sadness come through this gate,
Let no trouble come to these walls,
Let no conflict be in this place,
Let this home be filled with the blessing of joy and peace.

How I love this piece of work!!! I've hung it in a place of prominence in the living room so I can soak up its message...I can't take my eyes off of it...it a prayer made visible:
Let this home be filled with the blessing of joy and peace

See Alma's work here:
http://www.almaart.com/
and read her blog here:
http://www.almasart.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Marion said...

Thank you for sharing these photos of this special piece of Alma's art and for the words describing what you see in it. Both are beautiful and touching.

Fondly, Marion

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

...a prayer made visible, oh, I love that line and I quite agree, Dear Katie. What a blessing to have that work of art in your home.

and your baby girl...she stole my heart.

xo, Graciel

JFKlaver said...

Yes, I see the sun glinting off the piece, the courage, the strong femininity, the flocks of birds with only their eyes showing, hearts ready to give, veins of life, the lotus, petals, womanly parts. You are blessed to have this piece and I thank you for sharing your gems.