Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Mood Apart


Today, after I picked Emmie up from preschool she wanted to do "pwahjickts" - which translates to "projects" - with me. That really just means, "Can we do some art together mommy?"
For something simple, I grabbed out her cheapy little watercolor box and some paper and we sat in the front lawn and painted...mostly Emma layed on my back while I painted...and I found myself doing what I turn to when I get my watercolors out:
noticing every little line around an object.
I like to stare at the object while I draw with my pencil, and pretend that I am a teeny tiny bug going up and down and in and out of the line around a tree, or an animal, or a flower. I come up with two areas: the area inside the object, and the area on the outside of the object. I LOVE to fill these spaces up with solid watercolor. I found that it was highly meditative and took a good hour doing these three watercolors - two Juniper trees, and one big chicken.
I LOVE the way the chicken came out - that is exactly the shape she has.
What I found, though, is that it took me into "a mood apart" as Robert Frost would say...it reminded me of a poem, and when I was done painting, I went right in to find the poem. I was richly rewarded, because here it is...
A Mood Apart
Once down on my knees to growing plants
I prodded the earth with a lazy tool
In time with a medley of sotto chants;
But becoming aware of some boys from school
Who had stopped outside the fence to spy,
I stopped my song and almost heart,
For any eye is an evil eye
That looks in onto a mood apart.
~Everytime I read my buddy Bob, I know he was a kindred spirit. The fact that he knew this mood, makes him a friend of mine. ~
I often find myself in a mood apart...I find myself wandering to quiet corners when in groups or at parties. I like to sit in my garden and twist my toes around in the dirt. I like to stare at the bugs that crawl and hide under the tomatoes. I like to sing to the chickens and the cat. I find myself soaked up in my little watercolors...defiinitely in "A Mood Apart"
Amen and thank you, Bob.





5 comments:

sarah haliwell said...

I love those pictures! They're so delicate and otherworldly.

Barefoot from Heaven said...

Oh I love your work. Specially the chicken (I adore chickens...hihih).

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://sketchingdrawing.com

JFKlaver said...

Oh, thank YOU AND BOB. What a beautiful story, beautiful poetry, beautiful art.

Marion said...

Beautiful. In my mind I see you with Emma on your back, paintbrush in hand capturing glimpses of your world. That picture and the poem set me in "a mood apart" and make me smile.