Wednesday, September 16, 2009

ReadWritePoem - Wordle Prompt #92

I do just love these wordles (this is for Prompt #92 from ReadWritePoem) - this time, I told myself I didn't need to use all the words, as I just didn't want to push the inspiration. Seeing the word "plum" made an instant scene in my head and I worked quick to describe it. I'm seeing a new approach to poetry: stepping into the scene and fleshing it out - rolling it around like an apple, noticing every bump and bruise and bird peck. Normally, I literally run with it, with very few interruptions. I maybe tweak a few words, take out lots of articles. I start twisting out overused nouns and punching in a few compound adjectives, then I make myself be done. This one took me longer as I wanted to get down to the meat. I love pared down verbage; phrasing that gets down to point but has soul and movement. I love description that both informs the mind and moves the soul. Anyway, we'll see if that does any of that here. (p.s. no matter how many times I tried to add spaces for phrasing, I just couldn't do it! So, I'll go with the flow and let this just stick together like this)
sleeping within summer
bare branching arms
under the sun, they extend
dappled lime-light
tenderly touching my hip
through plum confections
that droop and drop in the heat
like wrinkled little remedies
lying in clover-sweet wind
caressing my cheeks like kisses
eyes close, I sink in deeper so
blue-green grasses conform to freckled shoulders
now the wisp inside spirals up and upward
lifting the leaves like a zephyr
leaving my soft pink-skinned husk lying
now under the tree, safely
losing myself
I dream

8 comments:

rallentanda said...

What a lovely luscious summer poem!
Reminiscent of Puck's song
'I must go seek some dew drops here
And hang a pearl in every cowslips ear'

Cynthia Short said...

Such a languid, soft and lovely poem..you have a gift.

davidmoolten said...

I like your use of wordplay and consonance; the use of sound brings the natural imagery to life and builds cadence.

davidmoolten said...

I like your use of wordplay and consonance; the use of sound brings the natural imagery to life and builds cadence.

Tumblewords: said...

Lovely, lovely!

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful Flow!

for a pittance, you buy that confection

Tammie Lee said...

I completely enjoyed your sharing of your process!

wonderful wonderful poem! I also have freckled shoulders....

Nathan said...

This is really lovely.