Monday, October 12, 2009

This is what I do...


There I was today, in the middle of some kind of anomaly...over 70 7th and 8th grade kids all in one gym together after lunch because it was too cold outside, and only ME to watch them...it was like being in a black hole. I was in disbelief for the first 5 minutes as I watched the basketball hoops come slowly down and looking, frantic, for WHO was doing it?! Too much yelling and chaos to figure it out, but it was happening...and did I just see the outside door click shut? Who went out there? Why are these kids throwing basketballs as hard as they can at each other's heads?!
It was like trying to get up a hill of molasses, at dusk, on a tricycle...

Then I stood for 5 full seconds with my eyes closed, went inward and pulled it out...I pulled up the courage and said, "What in the world, they are just kids." And then I also pulled out my new whistle (thanks, sweetie!!), and I'm not afraid to use it, let me tell you. I KNOW how to blow a whistle, and I have a LOUD voice...so quickly, I rounded up the hooligans who went out the wrong door, stopped the hoop-remote hijackers, sat the four kids on the sidelines who were throwing the basketballs so hard and generally took control of things...
*did you know that buttercups can grow in little spots of gravel that seem to have no water, and that, though you step on them and they seem to wrinkle, they do not lay down...they stand up straight and keep on going...that was me, today*

Align Center
I thought about my wish to have my own classroom (what joy I'd have to teach Language Arts to 7th and 8th graders!! or Social Studies...ooh, I LOVE Social Studies!!) and I thought to myself how much I love these CRAZY kids, and the lovely crazy teachers who stick with them through these awkward years, and LOVE it, and it made me feel as though I were a part of some underground society: "We Who Step into the Bubble of Tweendom, and Relish it"
What is it about them? Even the hardened (foot taller than me) boys who look me straight in the eye and say, "No!" and I calmly smile and say, "You look like a really old lady when you sqwinch up your eyes like that and say, 'noooooo!' I expect you'll do it anyway, or I'll have you scrub out every single one of these garbage cans in here before you go home today. Okay? Cool."
I LOVE that...I love that the boy smiles (trying to change it into a smirk) and says, "Geeeeeeeez!! Fine." and then does what I asked. Score one for me.
This is the challenge I take on. This is what I love...I love to watch some kid trying to form this "don't touch me, I'm too cool" bubble around themselves, and then I love to step right into it bursting it open and watch them smile. I LOVE it. I love to help these kids come back to themselves...

This is who I am...
irreverent, saucy, dishin' it out, listening to woes, straightening it out, and
caring absolutely...
I am with them because I'm called.
No better reason then that.




2 comments:

sarah haliwell said...

what a lovely post!

Laura said...

Saucy you are!! Way to go. I had a smile on my face (and laughing as well) as I read this entire entry. You are where you need to be, girl!

Love,
Laura