Sunday, January 24, 2010

Be still my Celtic Heart

It's true...I didn't take these pictures. They come courtesy of wiki-pedia...
They are both from Scotland, in the Hebrides (pronounced HEB-ri-deez), which are the broken up little islands (an archipelago) along the west of Scotland.
The first is the Callanish Stone Circle, which, according to my latest issue of National Geographic, were created and in use before the Great Pyramid in Egypt was begun...can you imagine??!!
I certainly can see ancient Druids chanting and reveling here...


This is the entrance to a FABULOUS looking cave called Fingal's Cave...the "candle-stick" formations comprise the entire inside of the cave as well...I can't believe how much the geologist in me want to see and feel these rocks...
I wonder what the ancient peoples thought of this place. I'm sure it was one of wonder and mystery.
Maybe I haven't mentioned it before (yeah right) but I love Nature...I listen to it, I watch it,I study it, I learn her names and her moods and wait in wonder at the beauty of such simple things as wetting a dirty rock to see what color it really is...to see such things as these makes my heart go pitter-pat.

Scotland pulls me in, in it's untamed wildness, and open rolling green and water water water...
and of course, its standing stones and mysterious caves.




3 comments:

Christine Crocker said...

I can see you wearing your dark cloak pulled close while you climb the windy hills and follow long ago footsteps over the stones...

this is just beautiful,Katie.

Finegan Antiques said...

Katie,

Leave it to you to find a wonderful place to dream about. I have always wanted to go to Stonehenge and Easter Island. Now I guess I will have to add the Callanish Stone Circle to my list. The mystery of these places are so very alluring. They are mystical.

Donna

Tammie Lee said...

Some day I also would like to go there. I can feel your love for nature.