Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Sorcerer's Cookbook

It just tickles me down in the bottom of my heart that I would have someone in my life who knows me well enough to have bought me such a beautiful book.
This book has the look and feel of a very old, well-used book of spells...and yet is it brand new.
It is called The Sorcerer's Cookbook, and it is full of quirky, funny little ideas of dishes to "brew" up that may have a desired effect...
This is the sweetest little page called "Catsfoot Flower Tea: How to make him purr with contentment" It looks as though little photos, drawings, plants and scraps of paper were taped in on the pages...
The engravings and woodcut illustrations are wonderful and rich.
Here is a spell for "Strawberry Jam and Balsamic Vinegar: An anti-stress remedy for the evening" ...I love the paragraph which reads:
"The strawberry is a delicious, vitamin-rich fruit that also contains magnesium, which is highly recommended for combating stress - a relatively common state when you're in love and have yet to declare your feelings. Instructions for use: 3 teaspoons of strawberry jam with balsamic vinegar of Modena, at snack time...which should provide the necessary dose of audacity for the evening."

This is wonderful reading for a foggy, cold Sunday evening near the fire and my old fuzzy kitty...ahhhhh the sorceress in winter: though she looks idle, she is filling her mind with new ideas.

5 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

ah such a wonderful gift. I feel happy for you having someone that knows you quite well!

Laura said...

Oooh I love the pictures in this book, Katie. (what a surprise) The brews don't sound bad either. I love aged balsamic vinegar on strawberries. What a great gift!

Laura :-)

katiebird said...

Yes, my MOM knows me well :)

Finegan Antiques said...

Katie,

I just adore this book and I couldn't believe it when I saw it on your blog! I own a copy myself and I love the drawings especially the frog with the envelope on pg 170 and the well contented man on pg99. These little pictures so make me wish I could draw. As usual you have great taste.
I must confess though I haven't tired any of the receipes as of yet.
Donna

Cláudia Loureiro Reino J. C. said...

I bought it too :)
Arrived yesterday. Blogged today here: www.reinojacheguei.blogspot.com
Amazing book :)