Tuesday, February 02, 2010

My Work with One in a Garden of Wells


In a Woode of tangled limbs,
echoing owl-cries,
and thorny brambles
is a moaning clearing

Upon this ground stand so many stone wells
that I must tend
running to that one and whispering down
silent at the precipice of this one tipping down one lone torchlight

I stay on the edges
in the open
taking turns to pull up on each long frayed rope
but the other does not mostly
know
or remember
or want
to hang on to the darkened end

there is a scratching at the bottom of this well
a clawing on the slick sides
of hastily strong-built walls

this day I yelled down
look up
and she did
through the murky air
and for the smallest moment
she heard me



what makes you really happy, I asked
not looking up
being busy with my day
creating the illusion that it's
no big deal to tell

--when someone I like says they love me--

just like that
her whisper floated out of the deep
true and golden
creating a wisp of bright blue sky
where grey smoke should've curled

before it was gone
I caught the glint of her eye
through shaded shadows
and whispered back

--I love you--

I told her so sudden
and unthought
I knew
I meant it

an impossibly small sparkle at the edge of her lips was surprised
to hear those words
from anyone, from me
she stopped clawing my hand
and heard it

she heard me

and then
she was
gone
again


5 comments:

Barefoot from Heaven said...

OOOwwwww how I love this one.
Great shot too my friend.

sarah said...

it's lovely reading poems here, so beautiful.

becky at abbeystyle said...

Gorgeous blog, and you couldn't be closer to the truth. "One touch of nature, and the whole world's kin." William Shakespeare--one of the mantras on my blog.

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

My Dear Queen Of Cups,

I am smitten with your poetry. :)

And that book of ours? I still need it. I've been distracted by cats. But I have not forgotten.

xo, Graciel

p.s. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your feline encouragement.

Jeanne Klaver said...

This poem is so moving and haunting. I love it. And the photo fits it—a mystery of sorts. A garden of wells...this is just amazing.