Thursday, April 29, 2010

Finding Myself at Breakfast- or - Two Eggs Over-Easy, a Cat and a Rag Rug

I awoke Tuesday morning bright-eyed in that deep-washed indigo blue light that comes on and wakes tiny feathered heads and makes them chirrup and mournfully whoo-whoo. It was long before my alarm was to bounce me out of bed and into a hot shower, but I was clear-headed and realized I had the chance to be alone for an hour in the wee hours...60 minutes alllllll to myself!!!!!
I spent half of that time putting proper make-up on...not the dash of cover-up and blush and a quick eyelash curl, but a full on "hey-did-you-put-make-up-on-today?" kind of proper.
Once I was dressed (with matching bracelets and a whiff of perfume), I decided on breakfast alone...two eggs and fresh coffee..."OH the comfort of it," I thought to myself.
Two eggs fresh from my chicken mamas the day before, salted and peppered and only slightly runny on my most favorite scalloped-edged red transferware salad plate.
Coffee in handmade pottery in deep indigos and browns.
A rag rug in browns and reds and bits of thises and thatses on my table made me happy, too.


The brightly colored one at my sink made me smile, and seeing my terracotta hen planted with lemon-scented thyme, I realized "ahhhh, I need to take pictures of those little things that make my whole body just line up together and say, "That is ME. This is what I like. Those things make me feel at home with myself." Then I turned around and saw my cat curled up on the other side of my breakfast, and I thought, "That is just perfect, too." I like the company of my old kitty on the table when I eat. That might be crazy, but people in love with their animals have done worse.
It all just kind of made me think for awhile about morning light and how I wish I felt this clear-headed and centered every single day...
I am so grateful for those minutes that seemed out-of-time, a wish granted, a prayer answered, a true blessing: finding myself at breakfast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also just realized that this is the 200th posting...I wish I had 200 bright red jelly beans to share with you (they're the coolest cause they double as lipstick)...but I don't, so accept my humble gratitude that you've read as long as you have, instead.

1 comment:

Barefoot from Heaven said...

hey congrats on your 200th one! Seemed to me you were having a great out of time moment with you and your lovely cat.

I would have love to sit there with you and enjoy this morning breafast.
Hugs Dagmar