Friday, July 09, 2010

The Alchemist - by Paulo Coelho

A few times in my life I've come across a book that so touched me down in my soul that I will never be the same...the Bible, Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea, Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth...
and now I grab these books when I seriously am starving for

inspiration, comfort, guidance, insight...

I've found another one: The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho.

Amazing, beautiful book about finding your Personal Legend, the purpose about why you personally are here. The dreams that you want more than anything else...I had this realization, which is good as I am striding toward mid-life quicker than I thought I would be, that I've completed two of my four. That's pretty good, don't you think?! I'm striving toward the last two AS I WRITE, and I needed the guidance, the wisdom, the INSPIRATION that Paulo gives through this story about a boy, who becomes a man as the story progresses, who is on an adventure to get to his Personal Legend, and all the things in-between that hold him up and teach him a thing or two before he gets there.

So, it is sharesies day:

"When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision."



"...when you really want something, the universe always conspires in your favor."



"It was the pure Language of the World. It required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time."




"No, " the alchemist answered. "What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the say. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we've learned as we've moved toward that dream. That's the point at which most people give up. It's the point at which, as we say in the language of the desert, one 'dies of thirst just when the palm trees have appeared on the horizon.'
"Every search begins with beginner's luck. And every search ends with the victor's being severely tested."

3 comments:

Christine Crocker said...

how beautiful!!!

I must look for this book.

I've got my water bottle...and I just know that the palm trees are just over the horizon there....I can almost see the tippy tops of them.

ruma2008 said...

The scene is really beautiful.

Your photography is splendid.

Thank you for showing a wonderful moment...

From the Far East.
Greetings.
ruma

Kerri said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Alchemist! Actually I love Paulo Coelho too! Whenever I read one of his books I find myself stopping constantly to write down quotes! He's such a beautiful person.