Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Catching Shadows of Stillness...

In my forward-moving machine, flowr'd skirt a-twirling here and there, I stop for a moment to see bright, autumn-edged shadows
the light is so strict and unmoving...the air outside is still and stifled...it moves like the underbelly of a lizard over volcanic rocks...but I am busy...sweaty or no, the show must go on.
I've been immersed in papers and colors and paints and staplers and tape and glue
The only shadows I'm making friends with are the ones I encounter from deep within my satchel, looking for that "thing" I was going to do at home tonight...
or in the early morning shadows of busy baskets against painted paper backdrops...
I haven't had time for reflections of liquid brass in doorknobs, or yellowed lace curtains looking edgy in the heat...
but I've been finding MY reflection, and afterall, isn't life at times slow and oftener times like driving a well-known road and not remembering the actual trip, but finding yourself suddenly at home? I hope to find ways to slow down and see my reflections and the shadows of things as I go along on this well-known road, because it won't slow down for me, I must tame it and make it go at my own pace.

Here's to finding oneself happily busy, skirts a-twirling.

2 comments:

Christine Crocker said...

twirl just a little slower katie bird, catch a moonbeam and hold it in your hand...dive into the cool waters of the lake...swim slowly and let yourself float on your back awhile and look up at the sky...
..immerse yourself and drink it all in slowly, for these are the days your dreams told you of, they are here.

We're so happy for you...I'm so happy for you.

love you,
ma & pa

Naquillity said...

so beautifully written Katiebird. slowing down to catch the shadows and anything else to come your way is replenishing. it allows you to see the finer details you once missed out on. hope you continue to grow in this new outlet. and congrats on your dream of teaching becoming a reality. i look forward to hearing of your new adventures. have a great night.