Friday, September 10, 2010

Where I've been...

This is how it's been...thank goodness for Anne Morrow Lindbergh for putting words to moments like these in our lives:

"For to be a woman is to have interests and duties, raying out in all directions from the central mother-core, like spokes from the hub of a wheel. The pattern of our lives is essentially circular. We must be open to all points of the compass; husband, children, friends, home, community, stretched out, exposed, sensitive like a spider's web to each breeze that blows, to each call that comes. How difficult for us, then, to achieve a balance in the midst of these contradictory tensions, and yet how necessary for the proper functioning of our lives. How much we need, and how arduous of attainment, is that steadiness preached in all rules for holy living. How desirable, and how distant is the ideal of the contemplative, artist, or saint - the inner inviolable core, the single eye."
___________________________________________________________




I've been being a Kindergarten teacher this last week, for the first time ever, in my whole life...and I found a new passion. I've been completely lost in the moments. I think of nothing but those little 5 year olds all day long. My mind is washed with white glue and scissors and bright papers. My dreams are full of staplers and laminating and tiny chairs.

I didn't know how much I'd love it...I couldn't have imagined it any better than it is.

I feel like Santiago in The Alchemist, finally finding my Personal Legend...
and so I offer my life a very tired, very honest, "Hooray!"

5 comments:

Deirdre said...

I am smiling at your happy heart, full of love and life! :) So good, so good. - Deirdre

sarah said...

how wonderful, I am so happy for you!

Dixie Sargent Redmond said...

Oh, what a beautiful and true picture of motherhood!

Your post makes me me want to be 5 again, in Mrs. Graham's room...pretending to be a Pilgrim while eating salted meat in our makeshift Mayflower.

Kerri said...

Oh that is so wonderful! I'm so glad you love it and especially that you feel like Santiago! How great is that?!

Jeanne Klaver said...

What a fun place! Any child would love to visit you here--Hooray for YOU!