Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Only so much...

I am a good teacher. I truly am. I say that without some crazy ego or a smirky flip of my hair...I truly mean it. Even when it isn't clear to me exactly which spot-on method to use with them at the time, I eventually, within the moment, will get to it. My ego is left at the door.
If I had a big head about teaching, I wouldn't be able to change mid-thought and say, "Hmm, how about this..." and explain something a new way or with a new method.

This applies to discipline...obviously, in my calling, there is loads of discipline. From silly little things like "sharing" or "tattling" to larger issues such as hitting or being mean and nasty, I deal with it in the same way: consistency. That is the nature of discipline, in my opinion; no nastiness necessary, only consistency. The children in my room know the rules, they know what happens when they disobey them, and there is no blaming or messiness about it. They know, because I taught them...

I am not a pushover; no child runs over me in class. I am irritated by the idea that kindness and understanding must equal fragility. That irritates me to no end. Why must I be a tyrant to be "effective"? I don't believe it for one minute. Teach children for more than 13 years, and then we'll talk about the term "pushover", but for now...huh uh.

4 comments:

Jesska said...

You tell em' Katie!! Besides you catch more bee's with honey..right! :) Love you amazing teacher, friend and soul sister..Your the best!

Naquillity said...

i agree consistency is best all around though i fear i'm a pushover sometimes, sigh. have a great day.

paper roads said...

I like this post alot. I like that you know you're a good teacher. And I like what you said about kindness. I struggle constantly with that attitude regarding my parenting - people thinking I'm a slack mother, spoiling my child, because I choose kindness over punishment.

katiebird said...

@ Sarah - thank you. I just abhor that idea that because we are kind and listen to our children we must be spoiling them. I enjoy their different perspectives, and have often found I was in error and was so thankful I asked them to explain themselves. They teach me, and if I railroad them, I miss that opportunity. Thank you for understanding this :) Most days I have more trouble with the parents than the children!