Wednesday, March 30, 2011

beyond knowing

What Is There Beyond Knowing?
What is there beyond knowing that keeps
calling to me? I can't
turn in any direction
but it's there. I don't mean
the leaves' grip and shine or even the thrush's
silk song, but the far-off
fires, for example,
of the stars, heaven's slowly turning
theater of light, or the wind
playful with its breath;
or time that's always rushing forward,
or standing still
in the same -- what shall I say --
moment.
What I know
I could put into a pack
as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it
on one shoulder,
important and honorable, but so small!
While everything else continues, unexplained
and unexplainable. How wonderful it is
to follow a thought quietly
to its logical end.
I have done this a few times.
But mostly I just stand in the dark field,
in the middle of the world, breathing
in and out. Life so far doesn't have any other name
but breath and light, wind and rain.
If there's a temple, I haven't found it yet.
I simply go on drifting, in the heaven of the grass
and the weeds.
~ Mary Oliver ~



(photos of my new home taken with a loving eye: Lilacs which are coming to be; the Barn so beautiful I could kiss it; the luscious walls inside the Chicken Coop; more of my Beloved Barn; a just right window in my Barn)

8 comments:

Kerri said...

These photos are amazing! And I can't believe you have lilac's too! Your life is now perfect:) So many lines in this poem made me sigh with happiness. Did you read the interview with Mary Oliver in the april issue of Oprah's magazine? So wonderful!

katiebird said...

thank you Kerri - thanks to Picnik, my photos can go from "meh" to "coooool" :) I am just SO in love with the words that Mary Oliver puts together - what a wonderful poet - no I didn't see the interview, so will have to look that up. Thank you!

sarah said...

oh my goodness, I don't know what happened here - I've been thinking of you for ages, wondering how you were, assuming that you weren't writing as you settled in to your new home ... and here you've been all along, and somehow you just disappeared from my reader. I don't understand it. So sorry to have been silent - it wasn't on purpose!!

Now to go read and catch up on your news ...

katiebird said...

Hooray! hello Sarah!!! so glad to hear from you :) No worries!

Alma Art said...

Are you in your amazing home now? I am so happy for you my friend! LOVE LOVE LOVE to you.

Alma

Tracy said...

Mary Oliver...how her words are temple themselves! :O) Welcome home Katie... the barn is GLORIOUS! Happy Days making friends with your new home. ((HUGS))

Graciel said...

That poem and that barn are all I need in life right now. God bless you and your sweet family in your new dream home!!

With love and cartwheels of happiness,
Graciel

paperbird said...

Katie you write so beautifully. It is so fun to find you here in this lovely world of blog.

How is your sweet Mom?