Wednesday, June 22, 2011

patience

my son is trying mine in the last few weeks...something about almost being 9 years old that causes a boy to ask 'why he must say sorry to his sister' and 'why he can't do this' and 'why he can't do that' and 'why must it be done this way' and do you know what i've been finding myself saying? Good grief, I've said, "Because I said so, that's why!" and "Because I'm the mom and what I say goes!"
Not good, but I'm working on it...
i want my son to ask questions, he wants to be some sort of scientist when he is grown, and asking questions will be his work...but Goddess, I ask for PATIENCE in the waxing and waning of my son's questioning.
the lovely bit is that It has caused me to look at the rhythm of our days (even the lazy, unstructured Summer days) and to really truly conclude that while that is all well and good for awhile, there really must be a rhythm (my new favorite Waldorf word) to our day so that Mama doesn't get headaches and has enough patience to answer her scientist son's question with logical answers which settle his bones and at times remember to answer, "Because it is the nice thing to do and I'd be oh so proud if you grew up to be a nice man."

More on fun stuff and a Daily Summer Rhythm later...

3 comments:

sarah said...

Here is something that may help.

http://theparentingpassageway.com/2009/09/11/a-few-resources-for-the-nine-year-change/

:-)

melissa said...

oh, thank you, katiebird. my oldest son is 7. i can feel 9 in the distance! and i pray dear goddess give me patience :0 :0 :)

give me wisdom, and please let me regain rhythm again and again (i love that word, rhythm, for guiding our day).

katiebird said...

Adie, thank you! That helped both my husband and I tremendously!!!