Monday, June 20, 2011

the summer day


Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?Who made the grasshopper?This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?~Mary Oliver

And do you have an answer for that question? I do, and it becomes more clear every single day, like leaves being counted. Before you are finished there will be so many more than fall and so many more that have budded and covered the fine strong limbs. But they will all be counted, and they will all, in one way or another be there, against a blue or a lavender or an impossible-peach sky.

(all photos are right out of the camera of my very fine Yellow Locust Tree)

2 comments:

Sea Angels said...

no I have no answer...saying that out loud makes me feel uneasy ..because deep down I am lying to you and to me..I do have the answer it is there...I can see it in the shadows waiting... but no I am just not brave enough to shout it out, not brave enough to try and too frightened to loose what I have....and the worst of it all is I am frightened of dying before I have chance to fly....just how sad is that my friend...
Maybe you made me think about more today than I have in a long time..
Bless you for that xxx
Love Lynn xxxx

melissa said...

LOVE the question. very timely for me today :)