Wednesday, September 14, 2011

fall beauties


"When I go up through the mowing field,
The headless aftermath,
Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden ground,
the whir of sober birds
Up from the tangle of withered weeds
Is sadder than any words.

A tree beside the wall stands bare,
But a leaf that lingered brown,
Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth,
By picking the faded blue
Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you."

~Robert Frost~

What a melancholy poem by my old pal Bob...even though I'm not feeling this way, I always LOVE that he can evoke these strong emotions in me that I can't explain except to try and have someone understand the poem the way I do...You see, I love the allusions to what is really going on, like:
 "headless aftermath" and "half closes" and "sober birds" and "stands bare" and "disturbed" and "softly rattling" and "last remaining" and "carry again" - I love the visual...it is very "Sleepy Hollow" to me...I get it.

Ol' Bob was a great thinker, I believe, and could see the connections between the life of the earth and the life of a person...intricate and yet simple. Once you "hear" his voice in his poems, the words seem to lay bare their meanings...what talent...I would've loved to sit and talk with him about things.


**The evenings are so dear to me these days. I feel as though my eyes are inward and down and I am in the midst of schedule and lists and remembering in Kindergarten...I am eternally thankful for my little piece of earth that wraps me up in a full embrace every single day. It says "Hello!" when we drive in, and seems at rest and happy to have us. Home, Home, Home...the best three words I ever heard.**

And then...two of the five kitties:


 best friend kitties - Seal & Boo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, I LOVE the movie "Practical Magic" and finding this today made me sooo happy...not that I'm going to be doing a blog party, but I love to see the photos and the art that they came up with to promote it...
http://pmparty2011.blogspot.com/




3 comments:

sarah elwell said...

I love Robert Frost, he is such an intelligent writer. I love that his nature poems are really about people, but the metaphors are not overly contrived.

I loved Practical Magic too.

The Barefoot Crofter said...

Lovely words from Mr Frost - so apt for the crisp morning we have here. Thank you. Have a lovely day xxx

Garden of Rambles said...

Love to hear you love Robert Frost. Me too. He speaks to my heart.