Wednesday, March 28, 2012

one year

we've been here for one year
the sunshine and wind
the rusty hinges and peeling paint have been ours
for one year
the rocks have been ours
the grasses and unexpected flowers
the red-winged blackbirds and sunflowers as tall as our house
have been ours
for one year
the whippy limey-green willow and the soft gray mourning dove
have been ours
the nearly ancient electrical outlets and flickering lights
have been ours

the things I planted in last year's garden are stretching out their tiny arms
the strawberry plants and the lady's mantle are making new tendrils, tiny and new
the sky has shown all her colors in this year

Spring never held much meaning for me in the past - fall is still my favorite - now it holds all the promise it ever has and I am seeing it, it seems, for the first time.

I feel like I own the spring and it owns me - this "owning", this "ours" is really another name for Love.
We've loved it all for one year - we've noticed it, celebrated it, laughed and cried in it, held our breath in it, breathed it in great gulping breaths, and it has noticed us, it seems. Like a cat's feet finding purchase on a trunk and making it's way to the tippy top of a tree, swaying in a serious wind - it is part of me and I am part of it, and we sway together now.

Our sweet little corner of the world is full of wind - bringing dust and the rich scent of honey.

3 comments:

sarah said...

A year? Wow, I'm amazed that it's been so long. Wonderful that it is all you hoped it would be :-)

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi there from Down Under...have been reading your blog since before you moved in...how the 12 months has flown...so pleased you are loving it!!!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a beautiful post! You love the same things that I do, and I think that's why I enjoy your blog!!

Here's to many more wonderful years!!! ~~Cheers!!~~