Friday, April 25, 2014

beauty

Beauty is in the details for me. I love the intricate edges of things. I've always been fascinated by them. In an art class, I learned to do those kinds of drawings where you don't look at what you are drawing, but at the thing you are drawing, all in one continuous line. Not picking up your pencil at all. Those are called blind contour drawings. I remember the teacher saying that we should imagine that we were a small bug that was crawling along the sawtooth edges of the leaves we were drawing. Those were amazing drawings - the most precise, detailed drawings I've ever done.
I learned a lot about how to look and really see.
Today I heard a bird I'd never heard before, and it reminded me of those drawings. The world is full of small beautiful things.

3 comments:

Christine Crocker said...


I love your words
and the images they make

I love your writings
I hope to see your art again ~

Cathy von Hassel-Davies said...

I am so glad I found you again Katie. I was a reader of Sparrow Cottage and love your work.

I actually came across my A Goode Ladye's Press Volume I today and had such fun going through it all.

~Hugs

katiebird said...

How good it is to hear about my Goode Ladye's Press! It has been ages! So good to see you here.