Monday, April 14, 2014

being happy

My new favorite song is "Happy" by Pharrell Williams - it is the kind of song that you turn up super high, drive with your knee and clap along with.
The other day my daughter and I had the windows down, and the moon roof open. We drove slow down a country road and clapped and sang as loud as we could.

What makes us so 'happy' to hear that song...
I love the line, "clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth" - I don't really know that the ultimate truth is to be "happy" in life, but I do believe that we are meant to feel satisfied in life and that is a really deep-down happy feeling.

I read once about a white missionary woman who went to preach to primitive people along the African Congo. I can NOT imagine that this would be a super "happy" thing to do (I also have lots of opinions about proselytizing), but I can completely understand the deep-down satisfaction that she must've felt to know that she was doing something that she believed was truly worth it. Our calling in life is not the easiest thing for us to do; this I truly believe.

So, I clap along because I really am that happy. The sun shines (or does not) which is as it should be. Love takes commitment and work (or it does not) which is as it should be. Every day has its task (or it does not) which is...as it should be. I feel satisfied with my life because I CHOOSE to. I wrote this quote down about 10 years ago, and I think about it weekly...weekly! That is staying power.

Always fall in with what you're asked to accept. 
Take what is given and make it over your own way.
My aim in life has always been to hold my own with whatever's going.
Not against: with.

~Robert Frost~


1 comment:

sarah said...

I think I am the only person in the world who hasn't heard that song :)