Sunday, March 06, 2016

What have you been UP to??!!

John Bauer "The Tale of the Moose Hop and the Little Princess Cotton Grass"

You mean, besides teaching 2nd grade? Raising two kids, keeping our little farm running and housework? I've decided I needed to do what I really and truly love to do in my "off-hours": write. I've been writing at every available place and time.

At Christmas, I began really reading a book I bought a few years ago called Keeping Christmas: Yuletide Traditions in Norway and the New Land. My husband's family comes from Norway and I am enamored with Scandinavia myself. Between the pages of this book, I read about the "hill people" and the "hidden people". The "hidden people" came down out of the hills at Christmas. Of course, being from America, I imagined Appalachian hill people coming down out of the hills to celebrate Christmas with the "townsfolk" or something like that. This intrigued me to no end. Hill people in Norway. You can guess how much I wanted my husband's family to have come from the Norwegian "hill people": rich in traditions and superstitions. But theeeen, I looked it up. Not to be disappointed, however!
"Hidden Folk" are the fairies and elves, the trolls and magical beings that live up in the hills, the caves, the rocks of Scandinavia. It is so ingrained in their culture that even still today in Iceland, there were great protests over moving an building-sized boulder from its place where a roadway was being built, and they opted to build AROUND it...so they wouldn't disturb the hidden folk.

AFTER Christmas, I began reading a book called The Outlandish Companion by Diana Gabaldon, in which, among other wonderful things, she talks about HOW she began writing the Outlander series. The one bit that stuck with me was that she said she didn't know how to write a novel, but she began anyway. She was very careful not to tell anyone that DID know how to write a novel that she was writing one as well, this way, she could just do it purely and simply on her own. I LOVED THAT!

So, I began.

I figure that the world needs more Scandinavian (particulary Norwegian) fiction. Recently, I've been watching Vikings on the History channel, so that also inspired me. My son has begun reading a new series called Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan. But other than that, I don't find any recent books for young adults based in Scandinavia! I think I've found a niche!

So, began my research. Now, I can think of half a dozen books to write based on people's lives in Norway, touched by magic!

More to come...

1 comment:

sarah said...

So exciting! And so wonderful to see a post from you. You are missed very much! I'm glad your life has been full and interesting, and I can't wait to read more about the book! :-)